Monday, July 27, 2009

Sweet Finds Roundup

I spent the majority of the day with my mom. She’s pretty much the best mom ever. Ever since I was little, whenever I have hobbies or projects, she loves to help me any way she can. So lately, she’s been helping me with the shop! She even found two awesome dresses while her and my dad were on one of their little day trips. So today we tackled my “to be mended/washed” pile. Since I dislike sewing so much (to put it mildly!) I did the easy stuff - the trying on, the seam ripping, getting stuck with pins! etc. We particularly spent a lot of time (and only half the time bickering :P) on a dress I bought from Effie recently. I can’t wait to wear it, but jeez I think we altered it every possible way (as I had expected when I bought it, I just love the print so much)! So I’ll save the reveal of that one until I get it ready to wear.

But I also wanted to show you some of things I’ve bought in the last month or so! The most recent dress came from a trendy little boutique in Akron called Revival that also sells a bit of vintage and secondhand stuff. I’m trying to make myself choose between this one and the purple gingham one I wore in this post. Because really, how many purple and white dresses does a gal need :P? Any votes? (And yes, I’m still on the “Little House” kick, clearly!)





































Next is a super feminine number I bought from Cynara, if some of you remember her from when she was featured here! I sort of stake out the mailbox these days, waiting for it to get here haha.


































This is a lipstick case my parents found at an antique shop for $1! I’m so smitten I think I’ve decided to collect them. (And can you guess which movie I’ll be watching tonight ;D?)




























From the same place I found this pretty little… decoration? For $5. I can’t decide what I like best about it - the prints on those little kimonos, the “frozen” - ness of it, or the whole “I love anything in miniature” thing! I’d love to know how old it is…




























These two bags! I really love these simple leather bags. The brown one is actually not a Coach, just a very good replica. It is leather though, made by Wilson’s. The beige one is Coach, and I paid a little more than I’d have like to spend ($25), since you can find them just about anywhere. But still thrift stores mark them up, ugh! I guess they know silly people like me will buy them :P Both are thrifted.























































This dress I bought awhile ago from JessJamesJake, and you might remember it from this post. I really, really like it, but feel like it’s more of an autumn dress so I haven‘t worn it yet. I have no idea how to style it for cooler weather though…help!?


































Along with all the hemmin’ and washin’ I took photos of a bunch of new things for the shop. Most of them are brought to you by my bff Bettie, if anyone remembers her? Initially, we intended to share this blog but it turns out being a social butterfly doesn’t leave much time for bloggin’. Now if you’re a hermit like me, on the other hand… :) Anyway, I’ll get to listing those before the end of the week. As for the plus size update I keep talking about, I’ve been pondering what to do with them. I’d like to give the wonderful ladies at Fatshionista the pick of the litter, or should I post them here?





























A gaggle of Ken dolls bid you good night! (Check out that pastel guy, what a charmer!)

18 comments:

  1. Adorable finds! Sewing can be such a chore, but I'm always so pleased with the final result (if I don't screw up) that it makes it worth it. I mean being able to shorten a hem or mend a rip is really a priceless skill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds. What I most love about these pictures is that you have Sweet Valley sandwiched between Steinbeck and Chaucer! Brilliant - please tell me it was deliberate :) I tend to stick a leotard under a light dress to carry me into the fall (or those tops with the poppers), and a pair of thick tights and a real granny style thermal long sleeve top under the dress for winter - the thermals actually look really funky, especially if you add extra lacy trim and ribbons! And if it's real cold - chuck a waistcoat over (I wear these a lot cos I have no waist and they give me the illusion of one)...but I guess I'm not really that stylish...might do a post of what I wear one day - give you all a good laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great! I especially like the purple and white dress.. you won't get in trouble with me for having a few! :)

    I love Annie Hall!! yay for Woody Allen, my pretentious film friend got me into him :) do you like Manhattan, too? that's my favorite. the NYC black and white landscapes are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gaggle of Kens! Oh you gave me a good chuckle:) I love the blue dress and your dark brown bag:) I always put off sewing until I have a hefty pile, and then spend a whole afternoon doing it. But The Clothes Horse is right, its always worth the effort...if I don't mess it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! The dresses are so adorable! I especially love the purple dress, but the blue is also quite charming. And the Kens are hilarioussss. I remember when I fought my sister over control of the Ken. hehe.

    Be sure and pop by and leave a note!

    -Laila
    www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spot Little House books! I love, love those. I have the entire series here with me in Taipei :-). What a great treasure trove of finds! My favorite is the red dress with the pretty rose detailing. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such lovely finds! no, you can never have too many of what you think are 'the same'. I tend to be like that with blue things- it's not necessarily my favorite color, but when you find so many lovely things with blue in them, why pass them up? I really want to see that modified dress! As for Annie Hall...it's just great. I saw it again recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your blog, so i passed an award to you! go to my blog to see it^^

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehehee loving the Ken dolls picture!! and I see there's a GI Joe added to the mix ;)
    You got really cute dresses!! I especially like the red one! With a great pair of "huaraches" sandals and hair braided up with simple accessories would constitute a super cute summer outfit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ALMOST bought that orange dress from jessjamesjake- I'm so glad you beat me to it. I DON'T need any more clothes at the moment! However, this only further confirms that we might be dress twins...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love that red dress! so simple but chic. But not too chic...you know? Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I covet your dress from Cynara!! It's gorgeous!! So many wonderful finds. You have a really lovely mom, so nice that she helps you.

    Thanks so much for your opinion on my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the purse finds! They make me wish I was a purse girl and that's saying a whole lot.

    For the cooler weather, I can see that wonderful JessJamesJake dress with a blazer or cardigan, sweater tights, and granny boots. Haha, I think I'm just envisioning the dress with what I've been (almost) religiously wearing these days (minus the sweater tights). But I think that would work. Oh, and a triangle scarf, yes yes.

    I'm very envious of your relationship with your mother. With mine, it's 90% bickering and nagging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahah, and by the wayyy, I'm having a giveaway, so be sure and enter! Stop by and leave a note!

    -Laila
    www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your dresses, they're so cute and lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love love love the blue dress! what a find. and the coral dress would be perfect for this time of year...perhaps w/ some white tights and jazz shoes or flats...even with little ankle socks would be adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both of those top two dresses! Hope you find that perfect shade of red to put in your pretty lipstick case too :)

    ReplyDelete